As winter and the end of the year close in on us we are looking at two topics that could affect your business and what we can do to help.
It doesn’t feel like it has stopped raining since the summer and the past few weeks have seen flooding affecting roads in towns across the country. This can have a knock on effect for employers whether the business is directly affected with flooding in and around the premises or employees who are unable to get in as roads are closed and public transport is disrupted.
Dealing with this can be a headache for employers, what can you do as a business to ensure that the disruption is kept to a minimum?
Having a plan in place for extreme weather can help as both the employer and employees know where they stand in terms of expectations, whether it is using holiday, taking unpaid leave or ensuring that the structure is in place to give people the option to work at home when extreme weather strikes.
As we head into winter these situations are likely to arise again be it flooding or snow that impacts on the UK, if you want to stay ahead of the weather get in contact with us and we can help you get a plan in place.
It’s not long until the big day and the Christmas party season is now in full swing!
While everyone wants to enjoy the work Christmas party and let their hair down, as an employer you have a duty of care to your employees at these events.
Planning the event is key, here are a few tips to ensure the party is a success
- Reminding staff prior to the event what constitutes unacceptable behaviour at social events and letting them know the consequences for that behaviour
- Ensure there are alternatives to alcoholic drinks for those who don’t drink and those who are driving
- End of the night – put steps in place to
ensure that everyone can get home safely, a few ideas on this could be
- have a taxi/ car share plan that people can sign up to before the event
- a contribution towards taxis that employees can claim back
- transport – consider providing transport to and from the event
- If it is a workday the next day how will you deal with employees phoning in sick or turning up late? Maybe by starting later the following day this could be avoided
Having plans and policies in place to deal with any issues that arise will help make this winter a little less stressful.
If you need any help or advice on polices let us know, firstname.lastname@example.org